NORFOLK, Va. (Jan. 1, 2021) – SportsTalk 757, the web series presented by the Hampton Roads Sports Commission, will debut a new companion series entitled “Taking the Next Step: A Student-Athlete’s Journey from High School to College and Beyond” with eight area baseball experts on Saturday, Jan. 9.
“Taking the Next Step” is a five-part webcast featuring subject matter experts from the 757 region who will expound on topics facing young student-athletes as they transition from high school to college. The series ultimately aims to answer pressing questions facing families with student-athletes (grades 9-12) who wish to better position themselves to participate in collegiate athletics and potentially obtain college scholarships. All other ages are also welcome and encouraged to attend.
The new series will begin with a baseball round table discussion on Jan. 9 from 5:30-6:45 p.m. via Zoom and Facebook Live. Panelists and topics to be discussed include:
- Chris Anninos, PT, DPT SCS, Sports Certified Physical Therapist, CHKD Baseball Program Director - Arm Care
- Ross Cardwell, Assistant Baseball Coach, Cox HS - “Control What You Can Control”
- Chris Finwood, Head Baseball Coach, Old Dominion University - Recruiting: What College Coaches Look For
- Wayne Gomes, former Major League Baseball standout - Mental Focus and Performance in the Moment
- Chip Lawrence, National Cross Checker, San Diego Padres - Player Development
- Joey Seal, Head Baseball Coach, Nansemond-Suffolk Academy - “Coaching 101”
- Rick Cox, SPEED By Rick Cox - Weight and Speed Training
- Brian Murphy, Head Baseball Coach, William & Mary - NCAA Academic Standards
Other planned installments for “Taking the Next Step” include softball in March, track and field/cross country in June, football in September and basketball in December. Panelists for those discussions will be announced in the weeks prior to each respective episode.
To register for the baseball Zoom webinar, click here. After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the webinar.
For past episodes of SportsTalk 757, visit the HRSC YouTube page.
As an affiliate of the Hampton Roads Chamber, the Hampton Roads Sports Commission is committed to strategically attracting, creating and hosting high caliber sports events, while fostering city cohesiveness and enhancing the economy, image and quality of life for the region.
The HRSC would like to thank corporate partners Optima Health, CHKD Sports Medicine, Atlantic Bay Mortgage Group, Pepsi and TowneBank for their support of this program.
For more information on the HRSC, visit www.hamptonroadssports.org.
- 2021 (8)
- 2020 (17)
- 2019 (17)
- 2018 (7)
- 2017 (16)
- 2016 (56)
- 2015 (22)
- 2014 (89)
- 2013 (228)
- 2012 (146)
- 2011 (5)
- 2010 (5)